TripAdvisor reveals its Top 10 Irish Museums – No.1 fits into a single house in Dublin
Punching above its weight
PUBLISHED18/09/2015 | 11:30
Ireland’s No.1 museum is a small, non-profit housed in a Georgian building overlooking Dublin’s Stephen’s Green.
That’s according to TripAdvisor, which has just named the Little Museum of Dublin as Ireland’s top museum in its Travellers’ Choice Awards.
The non-profit museum, which tells the story of the capital throughout the 20th century, is just four years old.
Its collection was donated by the public, with often quirky exhibits ranging from James Joyce’s death mask to a set of bullets given to Ben Dunne by his IRA kidnappers.
TripAdvisor’s Top 10 Museums:
- Little Museum of Dublin
- Croke Park Stadium Tour & GAA Museum, Dublin
- National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology, Dublin
- Derryglad Folk & Heritage Museum, Athlone
- Irish Whiskey Museum, Dublin
- Waterford Treasures Medieval Museum
- Frank McCourt Museum, Limerick
- National Museum of Ireland, Country Life, Castlebar
- Celtic & Preshistoric Museum, Ventry, Co. Kerry
- Foynes Flying Boat Museum, Co. Limerick
Welcoming the award, Little Museum director Trevor White said:
“TripAdvisor is like a bossy head boy who keeps saying how much he admires you, even as he’s giving you a wedgie in front of the whole school. To avoid his attacks you just have to be perfect all the time. It’s quite the education.”
Visitor numbers have grown from 24,248 in 2012 to 80,601 in 2014, the museum said, with over 100,000 expected this year.